Find out the latest on Drug Discovery Kits from LKT Labs.
A Drug Discovery Kit Can be Used For...
- Immediate assay
- Activity screening
- Standard references
- Finding new uses for known compounds
- Brings a known concentration and volume of materials to the researcher for quick activity screening.
- Saves time in sample preparation.
- Saves money because the potential activity can be determined before large monetary investments in chemical purchases are made.
- Can be customized by columns to fit the needs of the researcher
- Because only a small sample is provided, waste disposal is minimized.
Angiogenesis and Cancer
Cancer can spread throughout the body when capillaries grow into and around cancerous cells through a process called Angiogenesis. Angiogenesis allows tumors to grow to much larger sizes and the cancer cells can then metastasize, or be transported by the circulatory system to distant sites in the body. There the cancer cells can reinvade and grow at the new location.
Cancer Cells are Transported by the Circulatory System
Statins and Cholesterol
Vital to the formation of new blood vessels is the fatty steroid, Cholesterol. Without it, new blood vessels cannot form and metastasis will be less likely to occur. A class of drugs called Statins make the biosynthesis of Cholesterol much more difficult by inhibiting HMG-CoA Reductase, which is the key step in making cholesterol. Traditionally statins have been used to treat patients with high cholesterol, however, they are now being used in cancer research.
Statins inhibit HMG-CoA Reductase
LKT Laboratories has several HMG-CoA Reductase Inhibitors:
Current Research on Combination Therapies
Research is currently being done on using Statins in combination with other types of drugs in an effort to increase the efficacy of cancer treatments. For example, Celecoxib (Celebrex) and Atorvastatin Calcium (Lipitor) are currently being used in concert to find a better treatment for prostate cancer.